Friday, April 28, 2006

Departure Day -- Friday, April 28


Here I am at the Austin airport, ready to check in. I don't like to take so many bags, but I have things to deliver that forced me to take a second bag to check.

1. I have 25 little wooden cars hand-made by a man in Sun City that I'm going to deliver to some folks in Almaty who take a special interest in orphans. I'm sure that they will find a way to use these little toys in their regular outreach to the kids.

2. Less altruistic, but just a much fun, I have a package to deliver to Svetlana's parents, sister, niece. Svetlana (originally from Almaty, now teaches Chemistry at UT) dropped off the package for me on Tuesday. The great thing about this part of my trip is that I go to Svetlana's parents' house for dinner, where her mom fixes a feast each year. They have a dacha in the country where they can grow lots of their own fruits and vegetables, so a lot of what we eat at their house comes from their own garden. This dinner is to take place on Monday, May 1st, which is a national holiday, so the whole family should be able to gather.

Next post will be from Kazakhstan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool dad! i love you! i'm praying for your safe trip!