Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sunday Morning in Almaty

Almaty, Kazakhstan -- here I am on Sunday morning with my first cup of tea! Our flight arrived on time at Almaty at just before midnight local time last night. I was met at the airport by Ivan (teaching assistant from CALTC) and Maxim (a former student who still lives in Almaty, has a car, and serves as a driver). I asked Maxim what kind of car he has and he said "a good one!" Its a Toyota station wagon imported used from Japan, complete with steering wheel on the right side.

I'm alone at the faculty apartment right now, though Ivan said that I might be getting a roommate, another CALTC teacher today (Sunday). It feels familiar here. I'm in the same room I stayed in the last few years. Everything is the same, same old furniture, same no desk lamp, etc. I do see a new fan, a floor model. They've already had a few hot days here and of course there is no AC. But the weather for this week is supposed to be kind of rainy and cool -- highs in the 60's or low 70's.

Ivan is coming over to walk to the Resurrection Church with me this morning. Most of the Russian-speaking folks from the school attend here. I'm sure I see some former students as well as other friends.

Thank you all for your prayers. So far everything as gone very well!

No comments: